Tuesday 3 December 2013

Overpopulation is a Myth

So far I have only been focussing on one side of the overpopulation debate so here's a video from the other side.

I'll try to let you be the judge but I can't help making a few criticisms. It says we could all have a house and a yard and still fit into the state of Texas, but the point is not how many humans we can fit on the Earth's surface but the quality of life that would ensue and the consequences for the environment. Sure, the human population could continue to survive with massive population growth, we would still be able to exploit enough resources, but the world would look a very different place. Secondly, the video points out the low birth rates in Europe and Japan where they are the lowest in the world, but ignores the African continent and other Asian countries like India and China completely! These are not only the places with either massive or growing populations, but the places where growth in resource demands will be the highest! I'll stop myself here and let you make up your mind.

I'd be interested to know what people think about this and I will be exploring more of the academic literature fighting for the other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment